The Question

9:14 AM

A few weeks ago, after 2 and a half years of working, my supervisor asked me;

“why did you choose this profession?” 

Hhmm, good question…I thought. I work as a teacher in an International School here in town. I teach English and Math to kindergarten kids.

I was pretty lucky when I got this job. Coming from a health care background, I know nothing about teaching children. I know how to speak English, but I did not know how to teach Indonesian kids to speak, read and write English.

A family friend offered me this job, and many suggested that I should take it. I took the job because I needed it so bad at first. However, lately I realized that {actually} this job chose me instead.
When I was a small kid, I remember people asked me..”what do you want to be when you grow up?” and my answer was “teacher”. My parents didn’t approve it. They wanted me to be a doctor. They paid for my school, so I didn’t have any other choice other than my parents’ choice.

So, answering my supervisor’s question I said….

“It’s a calling”. 

I believe in a dream. No matter how long and bumpy the {life} road I have traveled, my dream and destiny brought me to a place where I should be.

The school that I work for is called Surabaya Cambridge School, and my children are currently attending here.

20150414_150533

I am very impressed with the modern education system in Indonesia. The students in this school are being taught three languages, English, Chinese and Indonesian. Impressive right?

At this moment, I’m supervising 2 classes of Kindergarten 1.

Kindergarten 1A has 12 students, 7 girls and 5 boys.

IMG_20150310_135538

Kindergarten 1B also has 12 students, 5 girls and 7 boys.

IMG_20150310_135903 
 
Everyday has its own challenge. Most of the time I learn from my failures, and after 5 semesters…I have become a better teacher than I was the first time.

 To be a teacher is my greatest work of art —

Sometimes an unexpected question can be tricky and annoying, but the one that I got recently helped me realize that the thing I do everyday is not just a job, it’s my life dedication to children.

Love,
Tenny

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Wise Words

My Reading List

The Starbucks Experience: 5 Principles for Turning Ordinary Into Extraordinary
Take Mum Out
Paris, My Sweet: A Year in the City of Light